- Fancy a challenge? Be a Climate Superhero and enter the NFU’s Farmvention Competition! More details here
- The James Dyson Foundation have created 44 fun, science and engineering challenge cards here that can be done at home to increase young people’s understanding in these areas, great learning for all the ages.
- Are you or a young person that you are supporting interested in learning new skills online? Open Learn has thousands of free online courses that young people can study in their own time on a variety of subjects. To find out more look here.
Get Ready for Uni – Care Leavers Support Events: Sutton Virtual School is now working with Solent University to provide a range of useful and interesting resources and training for young people, carers and professionals who work with them. You will hopefully have received an email about forthcoming training opportunities related to supporting young people if they are thinking about going to University in the future. Even if young people are unsure about whether University is for them or not, the training is designed to support carers and professionals to help with these important decisions and to be informed about what it entails.
The University has also produced a number of useful short videos to support young people. Do check out the following:
And some interesting videos about a range of careers that a Solent University course could lead to:
- Life as a Deck Officer
- Life as an Engineer/ETO Officer
- Study Fashion at Solent University
- Study Music at Solent University
- Get stuck in, with sports journalism at Solent
Are you or a young person that you are supporting interested in learning new skills online? Open Learn has thousands of free online courses that young people can study in their own time on a variety of subjects. To find out more look here.
SEND: Twinkl has some great resources to use at home. This includes visuals that may support our learners with SEN to understand Covid-19 better and transition back to school safely. There are resources that explain about ‘bubbles’, hand washing and staying safe in schools. More information can be found at https://www.twinkl.co.uk/search by typing Covid in the search bar.
EYFS & Primary: Nature Scavenger hunts are fun all year round! The Woodland Trust list some seasonal collections to look for on and there are plenty of activity sheets on Pinterest too. You could discuss the changing seasons, the weather and the life cycle of plants and animals.
Secondary – Year 11 young people are busy choosing their next steps into Further Education and to help support them with this, we have created short presentation here so that they understand more about post 16 education options.
Post 16/USAC: Over the past year, Sutton Virtual School has teamed up with Flash Academy to offer our ESOL learners an exciting way to support their learning of English. The programme teaches English through 45 different home languages, so they never have to translate instructions. Our ESOL students used Flash Academy more than ever during the summer term and summer holidays. We hope that they keep up their engagement in the new academic year too.
Not in Education or Employment: Ready for a change? The Prince’s Trust offer a variety of exciting opportunities and free courses for young people from 11 to 30 from all over the UK. So, whether you wish to start a business, get a job or build your confidence there is support awaiting you! Please visit The Prince’s Trust website for more information.